Before you finalize any shower bench for your bathroom, there are a few important things that you need to know about the variants available in the market. Choosing the right shower chair for senior family members can be quite tricky at times, because just that a product is highly priced and worked for numerous users doesn’t necessarily mean that it will fit to your needs too.
Experts at Bath Systems recommend that understanding the key features along with the pros and cons will be a plus before you invest in any shower bench. They have prepared a quick reference list of the most popular shower chairs that can best suit the requirements of elderly members in family.
Teak Wall-Mount Fold down Shower Bench
This wall-mount fold-down shower bench from Bath Systems is sturdy, functional, and most importantly looks neat in the bathroom. You can install it on the inside or outside of the shower and it can be neatly folded away using low-pressure spring action brackets. Teak is by far one of the most naturally beautiful and strong woods.
This shower bench comes with low maintenance as it has thick sturdy fibers that that last for a longer time and look excellent in your bathroom setting. Teak wood is naturally non-skid and provide resistant to mildew, mold, microbes, and moisture that makes it a perfect shower bench for elderly.
- Fully assembled
- Support up to 300 pounds
- Seat has a depth of 12.5” (inches) for all widths
- Available in three different widths – 17”, 24”, 30”
- Aesthetic looks that fits in well with the bathroom setting
- Takes lesser space once folded
- Naturally resists mold and has a non-skid surface
- Expensive than most shower bench variants
Transfer Bench with Back
If you are looking for comfort and safety while in the bathroom, then transfer benches are considered to be vital safety equipment for the elderly. These shower chairs are designed to enable the senior family members to get in and out of the bathtub without risking a fall. Made primarily from latex-free plastic, the Transfer Bench with Back is lightweight and is easy to assemble. If you are more concerned about shower transfer safety, then this is definitely the shower transfer seat for you.
- Adjustable height in increments of 1”
- Comes with two suction cup feet that keep it steady
- Easy to assemble as it effortlessly snaps into place
- Supports up to 300 pounds of weight
- Seat back is reversible
- Easy to assemble
- Sturdy built
- Can be used while the shower curtain is closed
- 17” depth seat-to-back that can be a little too deep for smaller users
- Can be quite bulky as it’s a three-part seat
The Drive Medical Rotating Bath Stool
Drive Medical Rotating Bath Stool is the simplest, lightweight, and easy to assemble shower equipment. Most importantly, its rotatable and thus lets elderly members to conveniently use other accessories in the bathroom. The stool is perfect for those who prefer complicated bathroom seats and still need a shower stool that is sturdy with adjustable height.
- Includes 14” 360-degree rotating seat with adjustable height ranging between 16” and 23” at increments of 1”
- Comes with a padded seat and also has a removable tray to store personal things
- Locks at 90 degrees for easy mobility
- Easy to assemble
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Supports up to 450 pounds of weight
- Includes no backrest
Deluxe Padded Shower Chair
Deluxe Padded Shower Chair by Bath Systems is comfort in the bathroom redefined. This is the best and most comfortable seat for elderly members who are visually impaired and those who look for the convenience of armrests as well as a backrest.
The shower chair features a bright blue waterproof material that is easy to wipe and is easy to disinfect. Because of the bright blue color of the material, this chair is easy to see which make it perfect for the visually impaired.
- Adjustable Height
- Made from rust-free medical grade aluminum
- Features an easy to clean polyurethane padding
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Comfortable and easy to clean
- Durable design
- Bright blue color makes it easy to see and use
- Some people may not like the bright blue color
Shower Chair with Backrest
This is a fully loaded shower chair that comes with an extra-wide seat, padded handles, and an adjustable height feature. The non-slip legs of this shower bench variant add to its overall stability. Smartly built to fit perfectly into most bathrooms, this shower chair with backrest is both lightweight and easy to move around. Its sturdy built can support up to 250 pounds and is quite easy to assemble.
- Adjustable height from 14” to 21”
- Features a lightweight aluminum frame
- Easy to assemble
- Comes with suction rubber tips for extra safety and stability
- Safe, stable, and lightweight
- No special tools required to assemble
- Extra wide and comfortable seat
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Affordably priced
- May not fit narrow showers space or bathtubs
- Supports weight up to 250 pounds only
Anyone of these five listed shower benches could be the right shower chair option for your bathroom, however, depends on your specific requirements and preferences. Whichever way you choose to go, having a durable, sturdy, and long-lasting shower chair / stool is a great way to ensure that your bath time is not only safe but comfortable as well.